The Buyer is responsible for active management of supply chain activities to maximize supplier value and achieve a sustainable competitive advantage for all procurement, sourcing, inventory control, production planning & logistics for the organization. The incumbent ensures that all programs and activities related to Supply Chain adhere to Malabar’s vision and policies.
|KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to)|
- Responsible for the procurement of raw materials, equipment, supplies, and services necessary to support the business activities;
- Negotiate new and renewal of all supplier contracts;
- Ongoing review of existing suppliers of packaging to ensure competitiveness of the costs, quality and service. Issue and manage RFQ’s for ingredients.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of inventory levels, Review and set stock and order levels for all raw materials. Through effective order management, stock monitoring and analysis of inventory levels against usage, determine most efficient level for stock on hand. Maintain supplier information for each inventory item to include both, primary and secondary suppliers;
- Negotiate annual and semi-annual blanket orders for key items based on best price/quality/service;
- Liaise with international freight companies and customs brokers to track shipments. Ensure correct freight and duty rates are applied. Recommend improvements when necessary;
- Retain relationships with foreign and domestic suppliers to maintain cost efficiency and delivery schedules;
- Maintain supplier quality report cards to track all non-conformances;
- Source cost-effective new ingredients and alternate suppliers for existing ingredients;
- Provide regular forecast reports, cost analysis of new suppliers/ingredients; cost impact of changes in the commodities market, etc.;
- Responsible for set-up, follow through, and secondary checks of weekly cycle counts;
- Ensure regular analysis of items approaching expiry and/or high stock levels. Identify corrective actions as needed;
- Coordinate complete annual inventory at year-end;
- Work with the Director of Operations to identify areas of improvement in inventory planning, including warehouse layout, utilization of overstock storage, and tracking of non-inventory items to minimize out of stock scenarios. Utilize and manage Kanban process for key non-inventory items to ensure stock on hand;
- Ensure all costs are accurate. Communicate any changes to the Office Manager to ensure timely updates in Dynamics & Esha;
- Ensure timely and efficient response to changes in production schedule and customer orders;
- Manage stock on hand at the secondary overstock warehouse. Conduct physical inventory against computer inventory report;
- Work with the Quality Control and Office Managers to effectively and timely minimize on HOLD time for products, including customer returns, supplier errors, damaged products, etc.
Supply Chain Management:
- Using MIN/MAX reports generated in Dynamics, initiate and process purchase orders for all production (BOMs) and stock items. Set stock levels, place orders and coordinate logistics. Follow-up on delivery to ensure orders’ quantities, quality, and delivery timeframes;
- Responsible for entering new Bill of Materials and follow-up on new BOMs as required;
- Review and negotiate preferred transportation rates to minimize delivery costs;
- Play an active role in supplier audits;
- Maintain thorough records of any/all damaged freights. Resolve the issues accordingly.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in purchasing in FOOD INGREDIENTS Industry;
- Thorough knowledge of supply chain management in a manufacturing environment;
- Commodities experience is preferred; global sourcing background helpful
- Understand FIFO and general lean practices with commitment to continuous improvement;
- Solid knowledge of MS Office is required;
- PMAC certification is preferred
- Experience with Microsoft GP Dynamics software system preferred
|KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS|
- Exceptional organizational skills are a must;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail is essential;
- Able to perform basic mathematical computations. Able to apply concepts such as fractions and percentages to practical solutions;
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and resolve discrepancies in a reasonable amount of time;
- Commitment to continuous improvement;
- Strong leadership with focus on positive attitude in what we say and do.
While performing the duties of the job, the incumbent is regularly required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Some light lifting (up to 25 lbs) is required. Incumbent often works under pressure and time constraints.