FOOD SAFETY / P&D SPECIALIST WANTED
|JOB DESCRIPTION FOOD SAFETY / P&D SPECIALIST|
|POSITION TITLE||Food Safety / P&D Specialist||JOB TYPE||Full-time|
|REPORTS TO||Manager of Technical Services||DATE||March 2021|
|The Food Safety / P&D Specialist ensures that Malabar meets the quality, food safety and regulatory requirements as dictated by the Food Safety and HACCP Program, the Brand Reputation through Compliance Global Standard (BRCGS), and Document Review and Specifications for all Raw Material, Packaging and Finished Product. The incumbent develops, implements, maintains, and monitors internal programs, processes, and procedures that address all applicable requirements with follow through to training as required. They also take on a role in Product Developer in our new Innovation Center with a focus on bakery, dairy, meat and prepared foods applications.|
|KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to):|
|Food Safety Roles (50% of your time)|
– Provide leadership, direction, and guidance in the implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement of all existing Food Safety programs to ensure their compliance with the applicable regulatory requirements and the BRCGS standard;
– Oversee internal processes (people and products) to ensure food safety performance standards are met;
– Ensure all documentation is complete, up-to-date, and accurate;
– Validate and verify quality control point procedures and parameters for completion as per established food safety program;
– Conduct monthly facility internal inspections and schedule internal program audits with qualified auditor;
– Advise on investigation methods, root cause analysis, corrective action, and prevention of quality issues;
– Ensure timely and effective communication and follow-up on all corrective actions;
– Develop, implement, and conduct scheduled plant audits and third party warehouse premises;
– Schedule and participate in annual Mock Recalls as the Recall Coordinator/QA alternate;
– Lead Food Safety team and Management meetings monthly, and quarterly basis; prepare appropriate reports;
– Develop and deliver quality and food safety training to all staff;
– Lead Malabar’s annual BRCGS audit. Serve as the key contact for CFIA, Halal, Kosher and Customer audits;
– Provide back-up support to the Quality Assurance Specialist;
– Maintain Approved Supplier database and perform supplier audits when required.
– Health and Safety representative
Product Development Lead (50% of your time)
– The Product Developer will develop and commercialize formulas from theoretical to test kitchen to full production.
– They will monitor and analyze food trends and data to innovate and develop new concepts for customer presentations;
– Leverage supplier networks to source new and improved ingredients;
– Develop, re-formulate, test and optimize formulas and processes to meet nutritional and quality specifications based on customer, regulatory, and/or cost guidelines;
– Prepare lab samples for customer submissions or tests along with required documentation; record formula and methodology based on lab and plant trials;
– Conduct sensory evaluations; prepare product specifications; conduct shelf life evaluations; collect and analyze product data; and optimize formulas in production.
– This individual will collaborate with cross-functional teams (e.g., Sales, Operations, Quality, Purchasing).
|EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS|
|– Post-secondary degree in Food Chemistry or equivalent from an accredited college or university|
– Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience in food manufacturing
– Thorough knowledge of industry standards (i.e. HACCP, ISO, GFSI, etc.)
– Working experience and knowledge of quality practices and procedures and the ability to coordinate and maintain a HACCP Program;
– Strong mathematical and computer skills
– Knowledge of labeling regulations and guidelines;
– Thorough understanding of existing raw materials and their functionalities;
– Solid understanding of production processes and procedures, including production facility and office.
| While performing the duties of the job, the incumbent is regularly required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Incumbent often works under pressure and time constraints.|
|If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume to Mark Brewster at email@example.com.|